Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Lesson 28: Best Friend, Part II



My first post about friends, Lesson 15, talked about different kinds of friends. After receiving an email from my best friend who literally lives on the other side of the world, I was inspired to write another.

I have heard time after time that happily married couples marry their "best friends." I think that's a beautiful concept, but I have a best friend. She's great, but I'm not going to marry her. Instead, I think I'm going to marry someone who is a good combination of the tough love, hang out, work and best friend. It would be nice to be able to come home to someone who's willing to show up in public with me, listen to everything I have to say and tell me the honest (and sometimes harsh) truth not out of frustration but out of love. I wouldn't call him my best friend. I'd just call him my husband.

Again, as I recall the original purpose of this blog, to prove that it's possible to learn something new every day, I'm realizing that what I want from the man I'll ultimately spend the rest of my life with will change. It's not to say that I don't still want to learn from someone or that I don't want to be able to laugh with someone. I'm still learning about this whole 'til death do us part thing. But maybe that kind of love isn't about placing expectations on someone you haven't met yet. To be honest, I can't say I'm sure I know what it's all about yet. But once I find him, I'll accept him as he is because I am sure he'd do the same for me. Friends do that for each other, right? Sometimes it's those little imperfections in people that we eventually learn the most from. And besides, how incredibly boring would marriage be if you got everything you wanted on day one? Where's the adventure in that?

No comments:

Post a Comment