Thursday, July 15, 2010

Lesson 37: Happy Birthday

People who know me know that one of my best friends, Akash, passed away back in 2007. I miss him a lot and think of him every day, but I also believe that he's always here with me, and more importantly, all the great things that he taught me in our friendship are still here with me, too.

Akash would have been 29 today, and I know for a fact that if he were still with us, I would have picked on him for being a year away from thirty. Despite the fact that he's away in heaven looking down on us, I still feel the urge to celebrate his birthday in one way or another, whether it's just writing on his Facebook wall or chatting with people who knew him best.

Anyway, the most important and most meaningful lesson that Akash taught me was the ability to believe, in dreams, in our peers and in myself. I know for a fact that it's an ongoing lesson. Even now when I doubt myself, I hear him say "Come on...you can do this" or "You're better than this." There are so many things that I do now that I'm sure he would laugh at, things that he would push me a little harder for and maybe even some things he would be proud of. In any case, I know for a fact that his spirit is out there somewhere still believing in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment