Monday, July 12, 2010

Lesson 34: All the Single Babies



Today while reading an article in Time Magazine titled One and Done I learned that the average cost of raising a child BEFORE they go off to college s $286, 050. It made me wonder: "Am I crazy for still wanting to have kids?"

I've been around enough kids of all ages to know that they're not perfect angels all the time. In the first few years they cry, they poop, they eat their snot (others may prefer glue), they don't know the difference between a paper towel and an Hermes scarf. They will wipe their grubby hands on either. When they get a little older, they need to be occupied all the time or they will constantly bug you with the way they turn any one syllable word into a two syllable whine: "I'm bo-oored." Then they grow attitudes and you're not good enough for anything. They tell you they hate you and that you're not allowing them to grow up. As they go from diapers to diplomas they drain your bank accounts as they plead for clothes and toys they just "have to have" and then wear/play with them once or twice before tossing them into the corner of the closet, never to be seen again.

I've also asked myself if I need to have kids to be satisfied when I work with them. And the question is still "Yes." I want kids of my own one day. I want to know what it feels like to be called Mommy and know what it feels like to call someone "my son" or "my daughter." I want to know that among what I hope is going to be many accomplishments, the ones I will be most proud of carry my genetics. And how amazing is it that two people can come to the hospital and then leave as three?

No comments:

Post a Comment