Thursday, July 29, 2010

Lesson 51: Don't Touch Me!


I don't like it when strange people I barely know touch me. I don't like it when strange people I barely know don't get that I don't like them touching me.

There's someone I know who constantly seeks out hugs from everyone, myself included. Let me be clear. I'm not a hug-phobic. It just really bugs me when this person tries to hug me as I'm trying to get away...I'm then stuck in the situation where I have to try to explain the "don't touch me" thing.

But when this happened today, I realized that some people just don't respond well to indications that their advances are unwanted. They need to be told more firmly to back off, but in my case, I feel like I'm in the middle of a catch-22. I do'nt want to scream at the guy to leave me alone but a girl needs her space!

So while I've come to this solution that I need to be firmer, I still have to wonder: Why do we feel this need to "suffer" so we don't hurt someone else's ego? Maybe that will be Lesson 548.

Good luck to me at being more assertive.

No comments:

Post a Comment