Friday, July 16, 2010

Lesson 38: Taking Risks



Today I was reading an email from my best friend, someone who knows me better than everyone else, and possibly better than I know myself.

You see, I had gone to her with a problem I've been having with getting something I want, and her advice was to "Go for it." There were no reassurances that the things that could go wrong wouldn't or recountings of the insecurities that I had expressed. There was just one line of advice: "If you want this, go for it."

I've always been a bit of a chicken when it comes to taking risks. I used to be terrified of roller coasters, terrified of jumping into pools, terrified of taking a step into a new environment, terrified of speaking to people who intimidate me. And now I'm a little completely terrified of going after this something that I want. I used to think that it was just because of the fear of the unknown, but as I read my bestie's email, I learned that it's actually fear of rejection and fear of failure. All of my insecurities that hinder me from taking risks originate from the possibility that something won't go the way I want them to go or that my ego will be bruised when I face rejection.

So now that I know all of this, the same question remains. Will I find the courage to let go and take that plunge or will I remain in my safety zone?

No comments:

Post a Comment