Saturday, July 10, 2010

Lesson 32: This Used to be My Playground



I just got home from watching Toy Story 3...Can we please have a moment of silence for all the toys of our childhood that went into the landfills? Goodbye See and Say. Goodbye Lite Brite. Goodbye Peaches and Cream Barbie. Goodbye little pretend lunchbox. You will forever live in my memories.

I'm not gonna lie. I shed a few tears because I recalled a few more lessons that I need to relearn.

1.) Old friends are the most loyal friends. People come and go into your life, but the ones who were there from the beginning are the ones that never let you down.

2.) Sometimes life is better when it's simpler. No need for bright and shiny gadgets to play with. All you really need is a cardboard box and a wild imagination.

3.) People act like punks because they've had rough pasts. You can't always blame their sour behavior on current circumstances.

4.) Good people can fall under the influence of not so good people, but if they have those loyal old friends, they can always bounce back.

5.) Goodbye doesn't have to mean forever. Yes, our childhoods are in the past, but that doesn't mean we can't ever revisit them.

I've heard time after time this business of growing up and "putting away childish things." And yes, there are some aspects of our youth that we don't need to take into adulthood, but I don't think that we should ever completely abandon the innocence that our made our early years so sweet. Those playgrounds of our youth need to be revisited in order to maintain our sanity in our adult years. And it never hurts to look back and just remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment