Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Lesson 84: Layers

Every morning before I go to work, I like to read the newspaper and complete the crossword and sudoku puzzles enclosed in the Life section. Sure, this part of my daily routine makes me feel like I'm 40 years old, but it's become a good way to start the morning because it helps get my brain going...and I learn a lot of things. When I got to the Life section with pen in hand, an article about what kids are wearing back to school caught my eye.


So, every Tuesday, the Life section of my hometown's newspaper focuses on something about kids. Today it was about back to school clothes. I have no problem with kids wanting to be hip and stylish, but I question whether the classroom is the place for that. Who is that little girl puckering at?


This photo made me think of Mean Girls. The little girl in the silver boots is the Queen Bee and the blond wants to be like her. And plus, when was it appropriate for kids to sit on their desks like that? We got in trouble for sitting on desks when I was these kids' age.


What's with the positioning of these kids? Is this kid there to hit on little girls, or is he there to learn?

Granted, I know that this spread was done in the name of the fashion. But still, I can't help but wonder why, when learning is the focus in schools, fashion is so important. After reviewing this article, I've learned that I am a strong advocate for dress codes and uniforms in schools, whether they be private, public, or parochial. Sure I want my child to have an outlet for self expression, but the classroom isn't a runway.

Aside from the dress code portion, I'm disappointed in the photo shoot itself. These kids can't be older than 7-8 years old, but they're puckering for the camera with a hand on their popped hip. Am I the only one who sees something wrong with this picture? Am I overreacting? Should school be a place where you should be worried about what you're wearing? I've always been of the belief that if you look neat and clean, you're more prepared to work hard. The opposite happens when  you're just worried about the way you look.

On the flip side, the Life section did have a positive article (albeit much smaller than the fashion one) about a show called Sesame Square starting in Nigeria. Now Nigerian youth will have its own version of Elmo and Rosita in puppets named Kami and Zobi as they learn about AIDS, malaria nets, gender equality and yams. Yes, the article actually referenced yams.

No comments:

Post a Comment