Monday, August 2, 2010

Lesson 55: We're Not Teenagers Anymore.

Today's lesson is brought to you by the cast of High School Musical.

I'm only a little bit ashamed to admit that I've watched this movie...and I have downloaded it to my computer from iTunes. My niece, who was six at the time of the DVD release went so far as to teach her younger brother (who was three) all the song and dance routines. It was the cutest thing, and they (not Zac Efron--I think he looks like an elf) are the reason why I still have that movie on my laptop. And truth be told, it's actually a really good movie with all the wholesome feelgoodness...and of course, I never say no to bursting into song in the middle of a school. (See previous blog posts about Glee and other musicals)

But anyway, I have been asking friends for advice on various aspects of my life and today I got a great piece of advice: "We're not teenagers anymore. Just say what you want." This is how I learned that in order to get what you want, you have to shed your adolescent insecurities and be willing to stand up for yourself. When the time and conditions are right, there's no need to be afraid of speaking up for yourself. Sometimes you can even get what you want out of speaking up. No need to assume that things won't go your way before you even try to get a hold of them.

"This isn't high school" is right. I was helplessly awkward in high school, and while I can't say that I've got enough self-confidence to supply the cast of High School Musical, I like to think that I've become sure enough of myself to go after what I want. And if I don't get it, my ego won't be as bruised as it was when I didn't go to prom with the guy I had a crush on way back when...Thank God.

And aside from all this, I know I'm not a teenager anymore because some of the people I met in high school weren't so great. They were mean and selfish. And while some people haven't outgrown that kind of behavior (sometimes I wonder if I have outgrown that behavior), I'm pleased to say that there are some great people who have walked into my life that make me want to grow up and be a better person. Like you

No comments:

Post a Comment