Monday, June 14, 2010

Lesson 6: Some People Should NEVER be Allowed to Work with Children


So I guess you can say that I'm cheating a little bit on this one because I've known for a while that some people just aren't compatible with the little ones. BUT today I learned that it's 100% easier to work with children than it is to work with adults because too many adults assume that kids aren't capable of doing anything other than being in the way.

A conversation I had today:

Adult: Did you just send another middle school volunteer to my station?
Me: Yes. I noticed that one of yours didn't show up.
Adult: He's here. I just saw him.
Me: They're supposed to check in with me.
*Adult rolls eyes.*
Me: Do you need extra help?
Adult: No. I don't need any help. *Rolls eyes again, crosses arms over chest and walks out before I can try to alleviate the situation.*

First of all, I can do without the attitude. Second of all, when you're working with kids, you need to have a better attitude. Third, when you're working with kids who are willing and able to help you, you should do your best to give them support or at least set a good example for them and let them know you're not annoyed at their presence. Fourth, if you don't like kids, you shouldn't be in a position where you'll be working with them. Fifth, don't take your umbrage out on me. I like kids. It's adults that I have issues with.

Thankfully, the attitude of the adult above is rare. I also got into a great conversation with a parent of two who will raise some amazing children. First, she said that school needs to be a year-round affair with just a couple of weeks of vacation in the summertime. She says that this will help kids stay out of trouble and provide them with good role models so long as the teachers are willing to do their job correctly and well. Second, she agreed with me when I said that all children are looking for is validation, and when they find that validation, they follow it. So, if they get it out on the streets, that's where you'll find them. But if they find it at home or with a trusted coach, teacher or mentor, they're on the path towards success.

So the end result is this: When looking for people to volunteer for youth programs, go for people who actually like kids and care for their well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment