Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Lesson 1: The Meaning of the Word "Clutch"

Like many Americans - and I'm sure other people around the world - I've been watching the NBA Finals between the Boston Celtics and the LA Lakers. Between all the dribbling and ally-ooping, I've heard the commentators say, on numerous occasions, that Kobe Bryant is a "clutch player" and that he always "comes through in the clutch."

Now I don't claim to know everything there is to know about sports, but I do know some things. It's just that the word "clutch" has never been one of them...Until now!

Inspired by my commitment to learn something new every day and fueled by the pride of wanting this blog to be a success, I tweeted about how I don't know what the word "clutch" means, and I got two responses about it:

From kittenmasks: it's part of sports lingo and the word "winningest" also falls in the same category, aka words I don't consider to exist.

From linsomnia: I don't either. Do they mean "crutch?" That would make sense...

I felt good knowing I'm not the only one who thought the word was a little ambiguous. While these responses gave me a little bit of a chuckle, I sought the meaning of the word by Googling it. I was referred to Urban Dictionary (note to self--there's some funky stuff on Urban Dictionary) and learned that "clutch" means that the player can come through when the times are tough. In the example of Kobe Bryant, it means he can come through in the 4th quarter when the team is down by two by shooting and making a 3-pointer. Small victory for me, but man it feels good to finally know what Van Gundy is talking about now.

But to be honest, to me, a clutch will never be about sports. It will be about Marc Jacobs.

No comments:

Post a Comment