Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lesson 12: Like My Daddy

L-R Clockwise Me and Dr. Anand Kuruvilla, who has become the father of the AKMSF; My dad in the orange surrounded by family, my brother and his daughter, my cousin-in-law and his daughter, my dad and his grandson, and my brother and his son)

So, today is Father's Day. What else could I do other than talk about lessons from my dad? I know it's like I'm cheating because these aren't necessarily things I'm learning today, but hear me out a little bit.

My dad has six children, and as the patriarch of our family he has seen and continues to see a lot of ups and downs. But he still rises above all of it. Growing up, my dad was the quiet type, but I still have tons of sweet memories of him like how he used to lift me up so I could swing from tree branches. (There's a picture of that somewhere!) More than anything, he taught me that you don't have to make a lot of noise to be a good leader. You don't have to have the light on you all the time to get attention or be influential. I think that's a lesson I've carried on today.

But the lesson that I'm still trying to master is that of courage. I know my dad has worried about a lot of things. I know he's struggled with a lot of the things that have happened, but he rarely lets it show. He stays strong for the rest of us when we don't know what else to do. He is an example of fortitude, and I think that in so many cases, that's what a man needs to be.

Overall, I don't know if I'll ever master all the things that my father and so many other great dads out there represent. All those virtues are ongoing lessons. Maybe he's the one who instilled in me this eagerness to learn something new every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment