Friday, September 10, 2010

Lesson 94: Lies

My brother and I had a long talk today about societal expectations. We spent some time recounting how we were brought up and what life was like when we were kids.

Back then, I didn't expect to be where I am now. I imagined myself living my life in a sequence that women are expected to live it: Graduate from high school. Graduate from college. Become a doctor. Get married. Move into a mansion. Have children...all before the age of 30. Here I am now with less than two years until the big 3-0, and I'm chose not to become a doctor. I'm not married. I don't have kids (unless you count the 4-legged variety) I'm cutting back on my cost of living, so that mansion is nowhere nearby.


Maybe all of those things will come to me one day (except for the doctor thing--I don't do blood), but if they don't, I'm choosing not to accept societal lies that I'm lacking in value just because I didn't meet these expectations that some amorphous "they" set for me. And I learned that such a choice is okay. No matter what, there will be some people who accept me as I am, even if they don't seem like they're nearby.

No comments:

Post a Comment